One of my favorite sweet breads is Pineapple Zucchini Bread… it’s also known as a quick bread because you simply mix all the ingredients and bake. For me, it just can’t get any easier than that!
My mother-in-law, Madeline, shared this recipe with me years ago and since then it’s been a family favorite. We love the moist texture and delicious taste infused by the pineapple and freshly grated zucchini. To say the least, I bake it all the time.
I especially love serving the bread as an accompaniment to quiche… here, sweetness meets savory. Yum! It is so delicious that everyone always asks for the recipe.
This is what you will need…
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil (I use canola)
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 8 ounces of crushed pineapple in its own juice, drained
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup nuts, optional
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixer, beat eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, and baking soda until creamy. About 2 – 3 minutes.
- Grate the zucchini using a box grater, drain the pineapple of most of its juices, add to egg mixture and gently mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add to egg mixture and mix until completely incorporated.
- By hand, mix in the walnuts and/or raisins, if using.
- Lightly spray two 5 x 9″ loaf pans and divide the batter equally.
- Bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
I do know that the temptation will be great to slice into your freshly baked bread, but do wait at least 20 minutes before cutting and enjoying the taste of this unique bread. As I have said before… anything you do in the kitchen is a labor of love… some things are just easier than others. Enjoy the simplicity of this recipe!
These breads freeze well.