Every so often you come across a recipe you can’t get enough of. This is one of those. As a matter of fact, I made it for dinner this past week for the umpteenth time and after the initial bite Mike looked at me and said, “I could eat this once a week.” Well, let’s be real, so could I… and lately it seems like we do!
Anyway, this lovely summer salad is light, colorful, healthy, and oh so good! The fresh lime vinaigrette, the grilled chicken and corn, combined with peppery arugula gives this salad quite a sophisticated taco salad taste. Add in fresh cherry tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion, zucchini and cilantro, and it becomes a refreshing powerhouse of flavor.
I found this recipe in a 2016 issue of EatingWell. My sister gifted me with a subscription back in 2014 and from the very first issue… it’s been my go to for finding and trying recipes that are not only healthy and delicious, but ones I like making over and over. I can’t begin to tell you how many recipes I have experimented with and shared with others. Every other month I eagerly await the arrival of my EathingWell issue so I can pour over each and every page looking for my new go to. So, here’s to hoping this is yours!
Anyway, this is what you will need…
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. white-wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup diced zucchini
- 1 firm ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 2 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Dash of lemon pepper
- 1 – 2 ears corn, husked*
- 5 cups arugula or more
- ½ cup broken tortilla chips or more
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to medium-high
- Combine lime juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in your salad bowl and whisk in oil. Add in tomatoes, zucchini, avocado, onion and jalapeno and gently toss to coat. Set aside.
- Rub chicken with additional olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. pepper and a touch of lemon pepper. Grill the chicken until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165 degrees F. Cool and then slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Grill corn until lightly charred on all sides, once the corn has cooled, cut the kernels from the cob.
- Add the chicken and corn to the tomato mixture, stir in arugula, top with cilantro and serve.
- Tortilla chips can be added to each individual plate.
With summer on our heels and the days getting longer and hotter, this is one light recipe that’s fresh tasting and easy to make. Hopefully it will be one you’ll want to try.
I love this salad and hope you do too!
*Both the chicken and corn can be grilled several days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Which makes this recipe even better!